Overuse of electronics can damage your eyes
We were always taught that staring at the Sun for too long can damage your eye’s, but I bet you didn’t know that staring at your phone or computer screen can also damage them. Prolonged use of electronics can damage your eyes according to experts when a person is viewing a computer screen their natural blink rates goes down and can cause eyes to burn, itch or get dry.
Prolonged viewing of a computer screen can make any slight existing vision defects more noticeable. It can also give you what is sometimes known as “computer vision syndrome” – eye strain, headaches, gritty eyes and blurry vision. But this is only temporary and can be minimized by:
- Consulting with your eye care professional
- Use the 20-20-20 rule: every 20 minutes, take a 20-second break and look at something 20 feet away
- Consider using computer eyewear to help combat eye strain; products are available in prescription and non-prescription varieties
- Create an ergonomically-friendly workstation with proper lighting, seat adjustments, and monitor settings
- Maintain an appropriate distance from handheld and stationary device screens
- Enlarge your computer text and browser windows for easier viewing
- Limit the amount of competing for indoor and outdoor light
- Clean electronic device screens frequently to eliminate dust and glare
- Remember to blink; staring at screens can dry eyes
Let’s take care of your eye’s together before it’s too late. Visit our office or simply call us at 918-794-6700 to schedule your consultation.