Hybrid Contact Lenses
For Patients Needing Spectacle Power
Twenty Twenty Eyecare offers hybrid lenses for patients with spectacle power that is too high or astigmatism that is too large for soft contact lenses. Hybrid lenses have a hard center and soft skirt. The hard center allows the doctor to correct any spectacle power or astigmatism amount while the soft skirt provides comfort comparable to that of a soft contact lens.
Hybrid lenses let you have it all: the visual acuity of gas permeable lenses with the comfort of soft lenses. Hybrid lenses are great for many patients with corneal astigmatism. These lenses come in many styles, including multifocal. A hybrid lens is designed with a rigid gas permeable center and a soft skirt, providing the comfort of a soft lens with the clear vision of a gas permeable lens. Good candidates for hybrid lenses include:
- Those with regular corneal astigmatism
- Those who have trouble with soft toric lens movement
- Those who have a combination of presbyopia and astigmatism
- Multifocal patients who want better vision than soft lenses can provide
- Those who want the visual sharpness of gas permeable lenses but don’t like the way they feel
Reasons that a person might not choose hybrid lenses include the additional time and expense of a diagnostic fitting and the extra training and education needed to use them correctly. However, many patients find that the benefits – crystal-clear vision, comfortable wear, and freedom from eyeglasses – far outweigh the minor potential drawbacks.